Traveling by train to Machu Picchu offers a unique and unforgettable experience for visitors. With its scenic routes and breathtaking views, it is no wonder that many people choose this mode of transportation to reach the ancient Incan citadel. Not only does traveling by train provide convenience and comfort, but it also offers accessibility for various fitness levels.
To get to Machu Picchu by train, there are different route options and train operators to choose from. Booking tickets and making reservations in advance are essential to secure your spot. Knowing the departure points and arranging transportation accordingly is important for a smooth journey.
When choosing the right train package, there are different classes available to suit your preferences. From the Expedition/Standard Class for a more budget-friendly option to the Vistadome/Panoramic Class offering panoramic views, and even the luxurious Hiram Bingham/Luxury Class, there is a choice for every traveler.
During the train journey, travelers can expect a certain duration of the round trip, depending on the chosen route. Onboard amenities and services make the journey comfortable and enjoyable. Some train operators even offer cultural performances and entertainment to enhance the overall experience.
To ensure a successful train trip to Machu Picchu, it is advised to plan and make reservations in advance. Packing accordingly and dressing appropriately for the weather is crucial, as the climate can vary. Proper altitude acclimatization is also essential, especially because Machu Picchu is located at a higher altitude.
By following these tips and choosing to travel by train, you can have a memorable and convenient journey to Machu Picchu, allowing you to fully immerse yourself in the breathtaking beauty of this iconic destination.
Machu Picchu by train offers scenic routes and breathtaking views: Traveling by train to Machu Picchu provides the opportunity to enjoy stunning landscapes and awe-inspiring views along the way.
Convenience and comfort are highlights of train travel to Machu Picchu: Trains offer a comfortable and hassle-free alternative to reach Machu Picchu, allowing travelers to relax and enjoy the journey.
Accessibility for various fitness levels: Train travel to Machu Picchu provides accessibility to people with different fitness levels, allowing them to experience this wonder of the world.
Why Travel by Train to Machu Picchu?
Embark on an unforgettable journey to Machu Picchu, and let the train be your guide! Discover why traveling by train to this ancient wonder offers a perfect blend of adventure and relaxation.
Brace yourself for captivating vistas and awe-inspiring scenery as we delve into the scenic route and breathtaking views. Experience the utmost convenience and comfort as we explore the seamless travel experience.
Plus, we’ll uncover how the Machu Picchu train tickets ensure accessibility for various fitness levels, making it an accessible dream destination for all. Get ready for an extraordinary expedition like no other!
Scenic Route and Breathtaking Views
The scenic route to Machu Picchu by train offers breathtaking views along the way. Here are some highlights:
- The Sacred Valley: Board the train and admire the lush green mountains, terraced fields, and meandering rivers of the Sacred Valley.
- The Urubamba River: Witness the majestic Urubamba River flowing alongside the train tracks, with crystal-clear waters and towering mountains.
- The Cloud Forest: Enter the mist-shrouded cloud forest with its diverse flora and fauna, including rare orchids, hummingbirds, and Andean bears.
- The High Andean Plateau: Cross the rugged and beautiful high Andean plateau, which offers panoramic views of snow-capped mountains and serene lakes.
- The Aguas Calientes Valley: Pass through the lush and verdant Aguas Calientes Valley, surrounded by towering peaks and serving as the gateway to Machu Picchu.
Immerse yourself in the beauty of the scenic route to Machu Picchu by train and capture these unforgettable views with your camera!
Convenience and Comfort
- Comfortable seating: Train travel to Machu Picchu offers comfortable seating options for passengers to relax and enjoy the journey.
- Spacious interiors: The train cabins are designed with ample space for a comfortable and enjoyable experience.
- Climate control: The trains are equipped with climate control systems, ensuring a comfortable temperature throughout the journey.
- Scenic windows: The train carriages have large windows that offer panoramic views of the landscapes, allowing passengers to enjoy the surroundings.
Did you know that some train packages to Machu Picchu also include gourmet meals and beverages onboard?
If climbing stairs isn’t your cup of tea, don’t worry, the train to Machu Picchu has got your lazy self covered.
Accessibility for Various Fitness Levels
To ensure accessibility for people with different fitness levels, Machu Picchu can be reached by train. This eliminates the need for strenuous hiking or trekking, providing a more accessible way to reach the ancient ruins.
When traveling by train to Machu Picchu, passengers have the option to choose different train classes based on their comfort and physical abilities. The Expedition/Standard Class, for example, offers a comfortable and affordable option for those who prefer a relaxed journey.
On the other hand, the Vistadome/Panoramic Class provides larger windows and panoramic views, allowing passengers to enjoy the scenic route without exerting themselves. For travelers seeking a more luxurious train experience, the Hiram Bingham/Luxury Class caters to their needs, offering additional amenities and services.
Regardless of the chosen class, train travel to Machu Picchu ensures convenience and comfort throughout the journey. This means that even individuals with limited mobility or health conditions can still experience the wonder of Machu Picchu.
Train operators also prioritize accessibility by offering features such as ramps and assistance for passengers with disabilities. It is important to plan and make reservations to ensure that accessible facilities and accommodations are available. By incorporating these accessibility measures, the train to Machu Picchu by train also becomes inclusive and welcoming to people with various fitness levels.
How to Get to Machu Picchu by Train?
You can get to Machu Picchu by train, from Cusco or from Ollantaytambo. Most get to the train station at Ollantaytambo after taking a bus or taxi from Cusco. You will either need to take Inca Rail or PeruRail.
From exploring the route options and various train service operators available to navigate the process of booking tickets and reservations, we’ve got you covered. We’ll also shed light on the departure points and transportation options, ensuring a smooth and hassle-free journey. So, let’s embark on this train ride to Machu Picchu together!
Where to Catch the train to Machu Picchu?
You can catch the train to Machu Picchu by following the information in the table below which has route information and operator information:
|Route Options||Train Operators|
|Cusco to Aguas Calientes||PeruRail, Inca Rail|
|Ollantaytambo to Aguas Calientes||PeruRail, Inca Rail|
|Poroy to Aguas Calientes||PeruRail|
|Sacred Valley to Aguas Calientes||Inca Rail|
When planning your journey from Cusco to Machu Picchu, you have multiple route options. The primary routes are from Cusco City to Aguas Calientes, Ollantaytambo to Aguas Calientes, Poroy to Aguas Calientes, and the Sacred Valley to Aguas Calientes.
The two major train operators for these routes are PeruRail and Inca Rail. PeruRail operates trains from Cusco City, the Poroy train station, and the Ollantaytambo train station to Aguas Calientes, while Inca Rail operates trains from Ollantaytambo train station and the Sacred Valley train stations to Aguas Calientes. Both operators offer economy, first class, and luxury classes to cater to your preferences and budget.
To ensure a seamless journey to Machu Picchu, book your train tickets and make reservations in advance. This guarantees your seat on the train and allows you to choose the class and amenities on the expedition train that suit your needs.
Consider factors such as departure points, travel duration, onboard amenities, and scenic views when selecting a route and train operator. Research and compare options beforehand to make an informed decision and enjoy a memorable train trip to Machu Picchu.
Check the latest travel updates and guidelines from the local train operators for any specific requirements or restrictions. Enjoy your journey to the ancient ruins of Machu Picchu!
Booking Tickets and Reservations
When booking tickets and making reservations for your train trip to Machu Picchu, there are important things to consider. Availability is a key factor to keep in mind as tickets can sell out quickly, especially during peak tourist seasons. It is highly recommended to book in advance to secure your spot.
Another crucial aspect is researching different various train companies and operators that provide services to Machu Picchu. Each operator may offer different routes, amenities, and ticket prices, so take the time to compare train companies and choose the one that best suits your needs.
Consider the seating options available. These may include standard class, panoramic class, or luxury class. Depending on your preferences and budget, select the seating class that provides the desired level of comfort and experience.
Departure times should also align with your travel plans. Take into account the time needed to reach the departure point and plan the round trip accordingly.
Many private train operators offer the convenience of online booking facilities. Utilize their websites or trusted travel agencies to book your buy train tickets in advance.
It is important to understand the cancellation policies and refund options provided by the train company and operator in case your plans change. To secure your desired train journey to Machu Picchu, it is highly recommended to book your tickets and reservations well in advance.
Grab your tickets and hop on board, because the train to Machu Picchu awaits and the train is ready for departure!
Where to Board the Train to Machu Picchu?
When planning your train trip to Machu Picchu, it is important to consider the departure points and transportation options available to you. By incorporating these keywords naturally into the text, you can ensure that your journey starts smoothly. Here are the steps to help you navigate this part of your journey:
- Research departure points: It is essential to find out which train stations offer departures to Machu Picchu. The two main departure points you need to consider are Cusco and Ollantaytambo.
- Decide on your starting point: Based on your convenience, choose the departure point that suits you best. Cusco is the starting point for the luxury Hiram Bingham train, while Ollantaytambo offers departures for other train classes.
- Plan your transportation to the departure point: To reach your chosen departure point, you must figure out the best mode of transportation. In Cusco, you have the option to take a taxi or arrange for a transfer service. In Ollantaytambo, you can either take a taxi or use public transportation.
- Arrive early: It is crucial to ensure that you arrive at the departure point with sufficient time to complete the check-in process and board the train. It is advisable to plan for any potential traffic or delays, especially during peak tourist seasons.
By considering the departure points and arranging transportation accordingly, you can guarantee a smooth start to your train journey to Machu Picchu. Choose your train ticket package wisely, because if the stunning views don’t take your breath away, the altitude will.
Choosing the Right Machu Picchu Trains Package
Choosing the right train package for your journey to Machu Picchu is crucial to ensure a memorable and comfortable experience. From the adventurous Expedition/Standard Class to the breathtaking Vistadome/Panoramic Class and the luxurious Hiram Bingham/Luxury Class, each sub-section offers its unique perks. Let’s dive into the details and explore the options, so you can make an informed decision that suits your preferences and budget for this extraordinary train adventure.
The Expedition/Standard Class is the most basic class for traveling from Cusco to Machu Picchu, by train. This class offers comfortable seating, scenic views, and onboard amenities such as restrooms and luggage storage. It is the most budget-friendly option, with a duration of approximately 4 hours from the Cusco train station to the Machu Picchu train station.
The Expedition/Standard Class is accessible to all fitness levels, making it suitable for a wide range of travelers. Choose this class for an affordable option that still allows you to enjoy the scenic beauty of the Cusco to Machu Picchu route and provides basic comfort during the journey.
The Vistadome/Panoramic Class on the train to Machu Picchu is the perfect way to experience the beauty of the Peruvian Andes.
With spacious and comfortable seating, passengers can enjoy breathtaking views of the Andean mountains, lush valleys, and picturesque villages through its large panoramic windows.
The Vistadome/Panoramic Class also features a sky roof, allowing passengers to admire the sky and mountains above.
Adding to the experience, in-seat entertainment is provided with videos and information about the region’s history, culture, and natural wonders.
To make the journey even more enjoyable, the Vistadome/Panoramic Class offers excellent service and amenities, including a welcome drink and a snack.
Travel to Machu Picchu in style and comfort with the Vistadome/Panoramic Class.
Hiram Bingham/Luxury Class
The Hiram Bingham/Luxury Class train to Machu Picchu offers a luxurious and historically charming travel experience.
|1. Elegant and Spacious Interiors|
|2. Gourmet Dining|
|3. Exclusive Lounge and Observation Car|
|4. Live Music and Entertainment|
|5. Complimentary Drinks and Snacks|
|6. Personalized Service|
|7. Guided Tours and Excursions|
The Hiram Bingham/Luxury Class train is known for its elegant and spacious interiors, offering a comfortable and relaxing journey. The carriage is beautifully decorated in a vintage style, adding to the overall charm.
Passengers in the Hiram Bingham/Luxury Class enjoy gourmet dining with delicious Peruvian cuisine made from the finest ingredients.
An exclusive lounge, bar car, and observation car are available for Hiram Bingham/Luxury Class passengers to enjoy stunning views while enjoying complimentary drinks and snacks.
Live music and entertainment performances provide an immersive experience of traditional Peruvian culture.
Attentive staff provides personalized service throughout the journey.
Guided tours and excursions are included, allowing Hiram Bingham/Luxury Class passengers to explore the ancient ruins of Machu Picchu with knowledgeable guides.
Experience luxury trains and heritage with the Hiram Bingham/Luxury Class train to Machu Picchu.
How Much Does the Train to Machu Picchu Cost?
The train to Machu Picchu cost is as below in the table:
|Train Line||Train Type||Approximate Price|
|Inca Rail||Voyager||Starting from around $60 (one-way)|
|Inca Rail||The 360° Train||Starting from around $80 (one-way)|
|Inca Rail||The First Class||Starting from approximately $180 (one-way)|
|Inca Rail||The Private||Premium pricing (varies based on services)|
|Peru Rail||Expedition||Starting from around $70 (one-way)|
|Peru Rail||Vistadome||Starting from around $90 (one-way)|
|Peru Rail||Belmond Hiram Bingham||Starting from approximately $450 (one-way)|
Are There Any Discounts Available for Train Tickets to Machu Picchu?
With train fares to Machu Picchu being quite expensive, many travelers want to know if any discounts are available. The good news is that there are a few ways to potentially save money on your tickets:
- Book the local residents’ train. Peru Rail offers a discounted fare for Peruvian nationals and residents. While you must show ID to board, some travelers have been able to get this rate.
- Look for student or youth discounts. Both Peru Rail and Inca Rail offer discounted rates for travelers under age 26 with valid student ID.
- Book a package deal. Booking your train tickets as part of a Machu Picchu tour package can sometimes bundle in a discount on transportation.
- Travel in low season. During the rainy season from November to March, trains are less likely to sell out, so cheaper promotional fares may be offered.
- Check deals websites. Sites like Groupon occasionally offer discounted Machu Picchu train vouchers, though options are limited.
- Book early. The cheapest train fares are typically those purchased furthest in advance. Booking 6+ months out nets the best rates.
While train prices are quite fixed, checking all available discounts can potentially save you $10-$50+ per ticket. Just be sure to still book as early as possible for the lowest fares to Machu Picchu.
Where to buy train tickets to Machu Picchu?
With Machu Picchu being Peru’s top destination, the train is the easiest and most popular way to access the Incan citadel. When planning your visit, one key step is securing your roundtrip train tickets well in advance. Tickets can be purchased through a few different channels:
- Directly through PeruRail or Inca Rail- This is the main train operator for the route between Cusco and Machu Picchu. You can check schedules and buy tickets on their website or at their ticket offices in Cusco and Ollantaytambo.
- Through tour agencies – Many tour companies and travel agencies, especially those based in Cusco, offer package deals that include train transportation. This bundled option can be more convenient than booking everything separately.
- Online travel booking sites – Some sites like Tripadvisor and Viator allow you to book just the train segment through them. Comparing prices across different sellers can help you find the best value.
- Hotels and hostels – Some accommodation providers in Cusco and near Machu Picchu also offer train bookings, which can be handy for package deals.
No matter where you purchase, be sure to verify the train class, departure time, and station to coordinate the rest of your itinerary. Focus on scheduling either very early morning or mid-afternoon trains to maximize time at Machu Picchu itself. Buy your tickets 1-2 months out or earlier to secure your perfect time slot.
How to Buy Train Tickets to Machu Picchu?
To buy your train tickets trip to Machu Picchu, follow these steps:
1. Research local train stations, operators, and train routes. Determine the operator that suits your needs.
2. Check availability and book tickets early. Tickets can sell out quickly, especially during peak seasons.
3. Choose your departure point based on convenience and accessibility.
4. Consider different train schedules and ticket packages and choose the one that fits your budget and preferences.
5. Provide accurate information when making reservations to avoid issues during your journey.
Planning and making reservations early will ensure a smooth and enjoyable trip to Machu Picchu. Don’t miss out on this incredible experience!
Sarah, an avid traveler, planned and made reservations for her train journey to Machu Picchu. She chose the Vistadome/Panoramic Class and booked her tickets several months in advance. On the day of her journey, Sarah arrived early and enjoyed the breathtaking views and onboard amenities. Thanks to her careful planning, Sarah had a successful and memorable trip by train to Machu Picchu.
What to Expect During the Train Journey
Get ready for an unforgettable train journey to Machu Picchu! As we embark on this adventure, let’s take a sneak peek into what awaits us onboard. From the duration of the journey to the fantastic onboard amenities and services, not to mention the captivating cultural performances and entertainment, this section is packed with all the exciting details that will make your Machu Picchu expedition train ride an experience to remember!
How long is the Train Ride to Machu Picchu?
The length of time to travel to Machu Picchu varies based on the chosen route and train operator. Here is a table showing the approximate journey duration for each option:
|Expedition/Standard Class||3-4 hours|
|Vistadome/Panoramic Class||3-4 hours|
|Hiram Bingham/Luxury Class||3-4 hours|
|Please note that these durations are approximate and may vary due to factors such as weather conditions and train schedules.|
Please note that these durations are approximate and may vary due to factors such as weather conditions and train schedules.
Fact: The train journey to Machu Picchu offers stunning views of the Andean mountains and passes through breathtaking landscapes.
Get ready to be pampered on your train journey to Machu Picchu with a wide range of onboard amenities and services.
Onboard Amenities and Services
Onboard Amenities and Services
The table below presents the amenities and services available during the train journey to Machu Picchu.
|Comfortable Seating||The train offers spacious seating options for passengers to relax and enjoy the journey.|
|Food and Beverage||Passengers can enjoy delicious meals and beverages served on board, ranging from local cuisine to international favorites.|
|Entertainment||There are various forms of entertainment on board, including live music performances and storytelling sessions that showcase the local culture.|
|Panoramic Windows||The train features large windows that offer breathtaking views of the Peruvian landscape.|
|Observation Carriage||Some trains have open-air platforms for passengers to take in the fresh air and capture photographs.|
|Bilingual Guides||Knowledgeable guides provide commentary in multiple languages, sharing interesting facts and historical anecdotes about the region.|
|Comfort Facilities||The train is equipped with clean and well-maintained restrooms, ensuring a comfortable journey.|
Traveling by train to Machu Picchu offers the opportunity to experience the natural beauty of the surroundings and the comfort of onboard amenities and services. Passengers can relax in comfortable seating, enjoy delicious food and beverages, and partake in various forms of entertainment.
The large windows and observation carriages provide stunning views, allowing passengers to immerse themselves in the breathtaking landscapes. Bilingual guides enhance the experience by sharing interesting facts and historical information. Clean facilities ensure a comfortable and enjoyable trip for all passengers.
Cultural Performances and Entertainment
Cultural performances and entertainment are essential aspects of the train journey to Machu Picchu, providing travelers with a truly unique and immersive experience. One of the highlights of this journey is the opportunity to witness live performances of traditional Peruvian music and dance, which beautifully showcase the rich heritage and vibrant traditions of the local communities.
As passengers embark on their journey, onboard guides also share fascinating folklore stories that deepen their understanding of the region’s history and culture. Some train packages offer demonstrations by local artisans who showcase traditional handicrafts such as weaving, pottery, and textiles, giving passengers a glimpse into the artistic traditions of Peru.
Train operators organize cultural exhibitions that feature indigenous art and artifacts, providing passengers with the chance to explore the artistic and historical aspects of the region. To further enhance the cultural immersion, passengers may also have the opportunity to sample traditional Peruvian cuisine, allowing them to fully immerse themselves in the local culture. It is important to note that these cultural performances and entertainment not only enrich the travel experience but also play a crucial role in the preservation and promotion of local traditions and heritage.
Hop on board the Machu Picchu train and let the tracks take you on a journey to awe-inspiring ruins and breathtaking vistas—trust me, this is one train ride that won’t leave you choo-choo-ing with boredom!
Pack Accordingly and Dress for the Weather
When preparing for a train trip to Machu Picchu, pack and dress for the weather. Follow these steps:
1. Check the weather forecast for Machu Picchu and the surrounding area to know the expected temperatures and precipitation.
2. Layer your clothing to be prepared for changing conditions throughout the day. Start with a moisture-wicking base layer, add insulation with a mid-layer, and top it off with a waterproof and windproof outer layer.
3. Pack a hat or cap for sun protection and warmth.
4. Bring sunglasses and sunscreen to protect your eyes and skin from strong UV rays at high altitudes.
5. Wear comfortable and sturdy walking shoes for walking and hiking. Ensure proper support and traction.
6. Don’t forget a lightweight and compact rain jacket or poncho for unpredictable rain showers.
7. Consider a small backpack to carry essentials like water, snacks, a camera, and extra layers.
8. Dress modestly and comfortably. Avoid tight or restrictive clothing that may limit movement in Machu Picchu.
Remember, the Machu Picchu weather can be unpredictable. By packing and dressing appropriately, you can ensure a comfortable and enjoyable train trip.
Don’t let altitude sickness ruin your Machu Picchu adventure, acclimate properly and reach new heights!
Ensure Proper Altitude Acclimatization
Ensuring proper altitude acclimatization is crucial when traveling to Machu Picchu to avoid altitude sickness and enjoy a comfortable journey. Follow these steps for effective acclimatization:
1. Arrive in Cusco a few days before your train journey to gradually adjust to the high altitude.
2. Avoid strenuous activities and take it easy during the first few days to allow your body time to adapt.
3. Stay hydrated by drinking plenty of water to help your body adjust to the higher altitude and ensure proper altitude acclimatization.
4. Eat light, nutritious meals and avoid heavy, greasy foods that can make you feel lethargic and affect acclimatization.
5. Consider using medication such as acetazolamide prescribed by a doctor to prevent altitude sickness and ensure proper altitude acclimatization.
6. Take it slow while exploring Machu Picchu. Give yourself time to rest and catch your breath if needed.
7. Listen to your body for symptoms of altitude sickness, such as headaches, dizziness, or shortness of breath. If symptoms worsen, descend to a lower altitude immediately.
8. Consult a knowledgeable travel guide or medical professional for additional advice on altitude acclimatization.
Inca history shows that Machu Picchu‘s ancient inhabitants acclimatized to the high altitude through their lifestyle and physical training. They cultivated resilience and endurance, making them adept at navigating challenging terrain and thin air. By following these steps, you can also ensure proper altitude acclimatization and fully appreciate the breathtaking beauty of Machu Picchu.
Train to Machu Picchu FAQs
What are the different train services available for traveling to Machu Picchu?
There are several train services provided by Inca Rail trains and Peru Rail. Inca Rail trains offer Executive, 360º, First Class train, and Private trains, while Peru Rail offers Expedition, Vistadome train, Sacred Valley, and Hiram Bingham trains. Each train service also offers unique experiences and varying levels of comfort and luxury.
Where to buy train tickets to Machu Picchu?
You can book train tickets through the websites of Peru Rail or Inca Rail. It is recommended to book your tickets in advance, especially during peak travel seasons, as the local train stations’ prices tend to increase closer to the travel date.
What are the boarding stations for the trains to Machu Picchu?
The one-way trains have three boarding stations: the Ollantaytambo station, the Poroy station, and the Urubamba station. The return train departs from Aguas Calientes Station, which is also known as Machu Picchu Pueblo.
How long does it take to travel by train to Machu Picchu Pueblo?
The duration of the train service and trip depends on the station of departure, ranging from 2 to 3 hours. The train service schedules are fixed and punctual, with most services and trains departing only from Ollantaytambo station.
Are there any discounts available for train tickets to Machu Picchu?
Yes, there are discounts available for children under 3 years old, and Peru Rail offers a 50% discount for children under 12 years old. The availability of discounts may vary, so it is recommended to check the respective train company’s website for detailed information.
What documents do I need to board the trains to Machu Picchu?
Passengers must show their travel ticket and identification, such as an identity document when boarding the train. It is important to ensure you have the necessary documents with you to avoid any inconvenience during the journey.