EDUCATING WITH Cachi
9-DAY TRIP WITH DEVELOPMENT
June 12th – June 20th
LOCAL SCHOOL VISIT
PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT HOURS
CUSCO CITY TOUR
$2899 PER PERSON
PAYMENT PLANS AVAILABLE
4th Grade Teacher | @teachingandsofourth
Why is she going to Peru?
“Being able to get the opportunity to dive into a once in a lifetime cultural experience is a blessing. As educators, it is important to continually seek opportunities to further our knowledge and understanding of different cultures. I truly believe this journey will make me a better teacher. I can’t wait to experience this with other educators.”
Who is Bethany Humphrey?
In 2012 Bethany Humphrey, the face behind Teaching and so Fourth began her teaching career in a 6th Grade classroom in Olive Branch, Mississippi. After Mississippi, Ms. Humphrey relocated to Las Cruces, New Mexico where she taught Kinder, 1st, and 2nd graders in a multi-age classroom. Currently, she resides in Las Vegas, Nevada teaching 4th graders. Teaching has taken Ms. Humphrey from the Southeast to the Southwest, with one constant, her passion for using musical strategies as a means to help students learn. This passion has not only created a positive teaching and learning environment but produced definitive results in the classroom. Now, Ms. Humphrey shares her passion for breaking the traditional mold of instruction through district and regional professional development seminars. Ms. Humphrey’s mission and methodologies allow her to reach the highest point of student engagement.
“4th Grade Teacher | @bilingualdiaries
Why is she going to Peru?
As educators, we work with a vast diversity of students whose backgrounds hugely shape their identity. What intrigues me the most about Peru, apart from their history and rich culture, is their recent educational efforts in implementing intercultural bilingual education. This type of schooling values the indigenous identity of the students and sets out to form citizens who are able to interact in their mother tongue and in Spanish. Experiencing this culture firsthand would go far beyond what a textbook could ever offer, and it would allow us to bring home a new perspective to better serve our students.”
Who is Valeria Hernandez?
Valeria Hernandez, the creator behind Bilingual Diaries, is a 4th-grade bilingual teacher in Dallas, Texas. She commits herself wholeheartedly to developing students who are proud of their bilingualism and biculturalism. This passion has enabled her to help students acquire the English language while simultaneously ensuring they do not lose their heritage language. With 7 years of experience, Valeria has taught 3rd, 4thand 6th grade. She has served on campus improvement teams, served as team lead, and presented workshops for other bilingual educators. She was also recently honored as the 2018-2019 Teacher of the Year.
EDUCATING WITH CACHI DAY-BY-DAY ITINERARY
DAY 1 (June 12th): LIMA ARRIVAL
- Arrive in Lima
- Book your own flight to Lima or choose the group rate departing from Miami.
If you choose to travel alone, you must arrive at the hotel in Lima on the night of June 12th.
This will be a long travel day so plan on grabbing snacks and eat when you can. Once we arrive in Lima, we will have transportation to a local bar/restaurant for those who want to join.
Transportation included (if you booked group flight)
DAY 2 (June 13th): LIMA TO CUSCO/CUSCO CITY TOUR
- AM departure from Lima to Cusco
- Check into Cusco hotel
Guided tour around Cusco City
Situated in the Andean Highland region of Peru, the Cusco City tour starts in Koricancha, also known as the Sun Temple. After Koricancha, we will move onto the four Inca ruin sites in the northeast of the city. First on the list is Tambomachay (Temple of the Water), which was used for the worship of water. Next, we travel to the military control center complex known as Puca Pucara. We will then visit a religious center dedicated to the Earth, Q’enko (the Labyrinth). Afterward, we will wrap up the day at Sacsayhuaman.
Flight from Lima to Cusco
DAY 3 (June 14th): CUSCO CITY SCHOOL TOUR
- AM visit to the oldest primary school in Cusco City
- Students in the Cusco City schools are in vast need for books. Teachers traveling are encouraged to bring either Spanish or English books to donate.
- Free Afternoon
Explore Cusco or the surrounding area
- Additional documentation on taxi do’s and don’ts will be sent closer to the trip.
Breakfast & Lunch
DAY 4 (June 15th): RAYAN COMMUNITY
- Day trip to Rayan Community
- Traveling to the Rayan community, located in the Sacred Valley, not only allows travelers to fully embrace the Quechua community, but also aids in the development of the area. To continue developing relationships, school supplies and a majority of proceeds are given directly to the community for allowing you to visit their homes, eat a delicious cooked meal, and experience their ways of life. As we continue to grow, so does Rayan.
Breakfast & Lunch – Rayan will make an authentic Quechua meal. Not everyone will take kindly to the way it is prepared, so we will have an alternative lunch available on this trip.
DAY 5 (June 16th): PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT/SACRED VALLEY TOUR
- Half-Day Professional Development with Valeria Hernandez, @bilingualdiaries.
Journey to Sacred Valley
- The Sacred Valley of the Incas is centered as the agricultural, political, and spiritual center of the Incan Empire in Peru. We will visit the agricultural terracing of Chinchero, the birthplace of the rainbow and stare in amazement at the Incan marketplace of Pisac where each terrace level provided a surplus of food for the people of the Incan Empire. Our Sacred Valley journey will end at a fortress that guarded the northern entrance to the Sacred Valley, Ollantaytambo.
End day in Aguas Calientes, Machu Picchu Town, as we prepare for Machu Picchu tomorrow!
Breakfast & Lunch
DAY 6 (June 17th): MACHU PICCHU TOUR
- Sunrise Machu Picchu Tour
- Today we rise with Pachamama. We will wake up bright and early to see the sunrise on Machu Picchu! We will start with a two-hour guided tour, with extra time after to roam the ruins.
- Machu Picchu is a South America UNESCO World Heritage Site and one of the Wonders of the World! It is also known as the “Lost City of the Incas.” The ruins of Machu Picchu will take you back into 15/16th-century archaeological construction.
- With your free time, you could hike to Inti Punku or the Sun Gate for a nice view of Machu Picchu. For an additional fee ($80 per person), you can add-on a Huayna Picchu or Machu Picchu Mountain hikes. These are 2-3 hour hikes that give an amazing vantage point over Machu Picchu.
Return to Cusco
DAY 7 (June 18th): FREE DAY/RAINBOW MOUNTAIN/ZIP-LINING OPTIONS
- Explore Cusco
- Optional Add- On Tours
- Rainbow Mountain: For an additional fee of $150 per person, we will spend the day going to the beautiful Rainbow Mountain. This was discovered in 2015 and has quickly become the second most popular tourist site in Peru. The day will start at a gorgeous little village with herds of llamas and alpacas nearby. As we get closer to the top, vibrant colors of Rainbow Mountain will come into view capping out the climb at just over 17,000 feet. A horse will be provided for you to walk along or ride as it is a very steep trek.
- Zip-lining in the Sacred Valley: For an additional fee of $150 per person spend the day zip-lining! The tour takes approximately 2 hours. There will be a total of 2500 meters of cables divided into 7 zip-line sections. The tour includes all equipment (harness, helmet, and gloves), guide and supervision.
- Cachi Dinner
Breakfast (Rainbow Mountain) & Dinner
DAY 8 (June 19th): TRAVEL AND FREEDAY IN LIMA
- AM Return to Lima
Explore Lima on your own
DAY 9 (June 20th): HOME/CHOOSE YOUR OWN ADVENTURE
- Return home
- For those choosing to return home, we will have transportation back to the Lima International Airport at a designated time. Otherwise, feel free to continue your Peru or South America adventure. Just know at this point we will say “Adiós no es para siempre.”
Transportation to airport
Spots Filling Up Fast!
Once you save your spot, you will be sent a link to your own portal to make payments as you desire. You can make payments at any given point, however your account must have the required amount at each corresponding date below.
- $1,500 Paid by December 31st, 2019 (includes deposit) 51% 51%
- $2,100 Paid by March 1st, 2020 (includes deposit) 72% 72%
- $2,899 Paid by April 12th, 2020 (includes deposit) 100% 100%